* Trinity College
* University of Cambridge
* Molecular Biophysics Unit
* Indian Institute of Science
* Center for Biotechnology
* Anna University
Resume of Madan Babu Mohan
Click here for the most recent resume - PDF of CV as on Sep 2013
See new group page at: http://mbgroup.mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk/
The information below was last updated in Sep 2004
|Name||Madan Babu (firstname)|
|Contact Address||MRC-Laboratory of Molecular Biology|
Hills Road, Cambridge - CB2 2QH
England, United Kingdom
|Permanent Address||C5 Anand Bhavan|
26 South Boag Road
T. Nagar, Chennai - 600017
|Date of Birth||14th Nov 1979|
|Contact Phone||+44 - (0)1223 - 402041 (Lab)|
0044 - 7789838481 (Mobile)
|Fax||44 - 01223 - 213556 (MRC-LMB)|
| Course|| Authority||Year||Mark/Grade/Remarks
|X standard||Board of Matriculation Education, TN||Mar 1995||1028/1100 (93.45%) State 3rd Rank|
|XII Standard||Board of Secondary Education, TN||Mar 1997||1153/1200 (96.08%)|
|B. Tech (Industrial Biotechnology)||Anna University, Centre for Biotechnology||Aug 1997 to May 2001||CGPA: 9.8/10 (3.92/4.00)|
University First / Gold Medallist
|PhD (Computational Molecular Biology)||University of Cambridge/MRC-Laboratory of Molecular Biology||Oct 2001 to Jul 2004||LMB-Cambridge Fellowship|
Trinity Honorary External Research Studentship
Max Perutz prize for outstanding research
- Max Perutz Prize - "for outstanding research carried out at the MRC Laboratory of Molecular Biology" - 11th Oct 2004.
- Visiting fellow at the NCBI, NIH for one month from 12th Dec - 12th Jan 2004.
- ESF-JSPS fellowship (European Science Foundation - Japanese Society for the Promotion of Sciences
) to paricipate in 'Bioinformatics workshop' in San Felix, Spain (25th - 30th Oct 2003)
- Runners up at the Young Bioinformaticians Forum held in Oxford University - Sep 2003.
- Visiting fellow at the NCBI, NIH for two months from 5th Aug - 28th Sep 2002
- ESF bursary of 600 Euros to attend "Genome to Life" summer school in Corsica, France (Jul 15th - 2
- DIMACS student travel award of $300 to attend DIMACS 2002 at Rutgers University
- ISCB Student Award of $500 for RECOMB 2002 ISCB newsletter article
- LMB-Cambridge Fellowship for the course of my PhD at MRC-LMB / University of Cambridge (from Oct 2
- Honorary External Research Studentship for three years at Trinity College, Cambridge University (f
rom Oct 2001)
- Recipient of Cambridge Overseas Research Scholarship (ORS)
- Gold Medal for securing the first position in the University (Industrial Biotechnology - CGPA - 9.8/10)
- Indian Institute of Science - Young Fellow from 1997 till the duration of the undergraduate course
- Indian Academy of Sciences - Summer Research Fellowship during 1999 & 2000
- Selected for National Merit Scholarship based on XII std performance
- Cash awards from Association of Matriculation Schools for 3rd rank in the state in Matric Exam
- Cash award from Nesarathnam Educational Trust for 3rd rank in the state in Matric Exam
- Shield from M.CT.M HSS for first in the school and for 3rd rank in the state in Matric Exam
- Award from Rotary club for 3rd rank in the state in Matric Exam
- Introduction to microarray data analysis - M. Madan Babu in Computational Genomics (Ed: R. Grant), Horizon Press, U.K
. Pre-reprint & supplementary material
- Contextual inference of protein function - Aswin S. N. Seshasayee & M. Madan Babu* in Encyclopaedia of Genetics, Genomics, Proteomics and Bioinformatics (Ed: S. Subramanian), John Wiley and Sons PDF
Research Publications (* indicates corresponding author; 1 indicates joint first authors)
- Statistical analysis of domains in interacting protein pairs - Nye, TM., Berzuini, C., Gilks, WR., M. Madan Babu, T
eichmann SA., Bioinformatics, PDF
- Clathrin-coated pit assembly: The AP2 complex serves as an integration hub to order the dynamic network of accessory prote
ins - Praefcke, GJK., Ford, MGJ., Schmid, EM., Olesen, LE., Gallop, JL., Peak-Chew, S., Vallis, Y., M. Madan Babu, Mil
ls, IG., and Harvey T. McMahon, EMBO Journal, PDF.
- GenCompass: a universal system to analyse gene expression for any genome - N. Luscombe* and M. Madan Babu*, Trends in Biotechnolog
- Evolution of transcriptipnal regulatory networks - M. Madan Babu, PhD thesis submitted to the University of Cambridge. Thesis adviser: Sarah Teichmann.
- Genome analysis of regulatory network dynamics - N. Luscombe*1, M. Madan Babu*1, H. Yu, M. Snyder, S. Teichmann* and M. Gerst
ein*, Nature, PDF.
- Structure and evolution of gene regulatory networks - M. Madan Babu*1, N. Lucsombe1, M. Gerstein, S. Teichmann*, Curr. Opin. Struc. Biol, PDF PDF of the cover image.
- Gene regulatory network growth by duplication - Sarah Teichmann* and M. Madan Babu*. Nature Genetics, PDF, Supplementary material
- NCI: a server to identify non canonical interactions in protein structures - M. Madan Babu*.
Nucleic Acids Research, PDF
- Loss of sigma factors could have initiated pseudogene accumulation in the Mycobacterium leprae genome - M. Madan Babu*. Trends in M
icrobiology, PDF, Supplementary material.
- Evolution of Transcription Factors and the Gene Regulatory Network in E. coli - M. Madan Babu* and Sarah A. Teichmann. Nucleic Acid
s Research, PDF, Supplementary material
- Functional Determinants of Transcription Factors: Protein Families and Binding Sites - M. Madan Babu* and Sarah. A. Teichmann. Tren
ds in Genetics PDF, Supplementary material.
- Conservation of coregulation in prokaryotes and eukaryotes - Sarah Teichmann and M. Madan Babu Trends in Biotechnonology PDF
- DOLOP - Database of Bacterial Lipoproteins - M. Madan Babu and Krishnan Sankaran. Bioinformatics PDF
- Shigella apyrase - a novel variant of bacterial acid phosphatases? - M. Madan Babu, S. Kamalakkannan, Y.V.B.K. Subrahmanyam and Krishnan Sankar
an. FEBS Letters PDF
- A C-H..O hydrogen bond stabilized polypeptide chain reversal motif at the C-terminus of helices in proteins - M. Madan Babu, S. Kumar Singh and
P. Balaram. Journal of Molecular Biology PDF
- Inventing polypeptide folds. Registering a helices and b strands using backbone C-H..O interactions - S. Kumar Singh, M. Madan Babu and P. Balaram.
Proteins: Structure Function and Genetics, PDF.
- Virulence factors of Bordetella pertussis - M. Madan Babu*, J. Bhargavi, S. Ranajeet Singh and S. Kumar Singh. Current Science, 2001, Vol 80 No. 12 : 1512-1522 PDF
- Protein structure determination in the aftermath of genome sequencing - M. Madan Babu and P. Balaram. Current Science, in press
- Bioinformatics of Bacterial Lipoproteins - Manuscript in preparation
- New Strains of V. cholerae - M. Madan Babu and K. Sankaran -7th Sep 2000, The Hindu, Science and Technology Section of the Indian National Newspaper. HTML At the site
- Bioinformatics - Aid for Genetic Data Management and Drug Discovery - M. Madan Babu - Nov 2000, CSI Communications of Computer Society of India. HTML
- Computer applications in new drug discovery - M. Madan Babu and J. Bhargavi - manuscript in preparation.
- Errors in Genome Annotation - M. Madan Babu Verve 2002 (Proceedings of Biotechcellence 2002, National Level Students Symposium in Biotechnology) HTML
- Proteomics - M. Madan Babu. Verve 2001 (Proceedings of Biotechcellence 2001, National Level Students Symposium in Biotechnology)
- Antifreeze Proteins - M. Madan Babu. Verve 2001 (Proceedings of Biotechcellence 2001, National Level Students Symposium in Biotechnology)
- Bioinformatics - M. Madan Babu. Verve 2000 (Proceedings of Biotechcellence 2000, National Level Students Symposium in Biotechnology) HTML
Publications in Conference Proceedings
- Protein Families and Regulatory Patterns in the Transcription Factors of E. coli at RECOMB 2002 - 18th - 21st April 2002, Washington DC, USA PDFs
- Protein Families and Regulatory Patterns in the Transcription Factors of E. coli at DIMACs - Complexity in Biosystems conference - 8th - 10th April 2002, Rutgers University, USA PDFs
- A Novel C-H..O hydrogen bond stabilized polypeptide chain reversal motif at the C-terminus of helices in proteins - 19th
October 2001, MRC-LMB PDF
Undergraduate (B. Tech) Thesis
- Protein Families and Regulatory Patterns in the Transcription Factors of E. coli at RECOMB 2002 - 18th - 21st April 2002, Washington DC, USA PDFs - Poster Abstract
- Integrating Bioinformatics, Medical Sciences and Drug Discovery - M. Madan Babu - accepted for presentation at the National Conference on Medical Informatics at Vijayawada, held during 24-25 Nov 2000. PDF
Summer Project Reports and Other Projects
- Analysis of C-H...O hydrogen bonding in helix terminus - Chapter I PDF
- DATE - Database of TIM barrel enzymes - Chapter II PDF
- Target selection for structural genomics and the structural status for the completed microbial genomes - Chapter III PDF
- Computational identification of Chorismate mutase in the M. leprae genome - Chapter IV PDF
- Misannotation of TIM in P.falicparum genome HTML
- TIM barrel analysis HTML
- Analysis of CH...O hydrogen bonding in protein crystal structures HTML
- Molecular Modeling of a b-hairpin peptide using NMR derived restrains HTML
- DNA Shuffling of Cry proteins HTML
- CobA, a red fluorescent reporter based bioassay of nisin HTML
Refereed manuscript(s) for
- (Invited) Transcriptional regulatory networks, 31st annual conference of the Indian Immunological Society - 17th Dec 2004.
- (Invited) Special lecture on systems biology, structure and dynamics of transcriptional regulatory networks, Alpha College of Arts and Sciences - 7th Dec 2004.
- (Invited) Guest lecture on genomics, proteomics and systems biology, National programme in bioinformatics and information technology. TNVC - 26th Nov 2004.
- (Invited) Structure, evolution and dynamics of the yeast transcriptional regulatory network, G.N. Ramachandran Hall, Madras University - 24th Nov 2004.
- (Invited) Structure, evolution and dynamics of the yeast transcriptional regulatory network, PSI - University of Zurich, Switzerland - 20th Oct 2004.
- (Invited) Structure and evolution of transcriptional regulatory networks in prokaryotes, MRC Laboratory of Molecular Biology, Cambridge - 15th Oct 2004.
- (Invited) Non canonical interactions in protein structures, British Crystallographic Association spring meeting, Univ Manchester - 8th Apr 2004.
- (Invited) General mechanisms for the evolution of gene regulatory networks, 2nd Trilateral Symposium in Structural Biology, Yokohama City Universit
y, Japan - 24th Mar 2004.
- (Invited) Structure, Evolution and Dynamics of the gene regulatory network in yeast, RIKEN Institute, Yokohama, Japan - 23rd Mar 2004.
- (Invited) Evolution and dynamics of the gene regulatory network in yeast at Trinity College, University of Cambridge - 12th Feb 2004.
- (Invited) Dynamic nature of the gene regulatory network in yeast at the European Bioinformatics Institute workshop - Dec 2003.
- (Invited) General mechanisms for the evolution of gene regulatory networks at Oxford University - Oct 2003.
- (Seminar series) Mechanisms for the evolution of regulatory networks at the EBI, Hinxton, Cambridge - Sep 2003.
- (Seminar series) Protein families and the evolution of the gene regulatory network in E. coli at MRC-LMB - Mar 2003.
- (Invited) Evolution of the gene regulatory network in E. coli at Darwin College, University of Cambridge - Jan 2003.
- (Invited) Guest lecture on Biological Databases, Training programme on Bioinformatics & Information Technology at Bioinformatics Centre & ARIS
Cell, Madras Veterinary College, India - Nov 2002.
- (Invited) Evolution of transcription factors and the gene regulatory network in prokaryotes at the University of California, Berkeley - 20th Sep 20
- (Seminar series) Evolution of transcription factors and the gene regulatory network in E. coli at Stanford University - 19th Sep 2002.
- (Seminar series) Protein Families and Regulatory Patterns in the Transcription Factors of E. coli at MRC-LMB - 1st May 2002
- (Seminar series) Regulatory Patterns in the Transcription Factors of E. coli at NCBI, NIH, Bethesda, Maryland, USA - 23rd Apr 2002
- (Seminar series) Protein Families in the Transcription Factors of E. coli at Cornell University, Ithaca, USA - 12th Apr 2002
- (General) Unix for Beginners at MRC-Laboratory of Molecular Biology during Nov 2001 HTML handout
- (General) Telnet, FTP for Beginners at MRC-Laboratory of Molecular Biology during Nov 2001 HTML handout
- (Invited) Protein Sequence Analysis and Biological Databases - National workshop on Bioinformatics in TNVC, chennai, India during May 2001 HTML Presentation
- (Invited) PERL for Biologists - Invited lecture for 3 days at DSQ Biotech, Bangalore, India during Apr 2001
- (Invited) Introduction to Biological Databases - National workshop on Bioinformatics held in TNVC, Chennai, India during Dec 2000
- (Invited) Co-ordinator and Instructor for the hands on session in the 3 day national workshop on Bioinformatics organized by the Bioinformatics Cen
ter at CBT, Anna University, Chennai, India during Nov 24-26, 2000 PDF handout
- Nature Genetics
- Trends in Genetics
- Nucleic Acids Research
- PEDs letters
- FEBS letters
- Biological and Medicinal Chemistry
- Genome Biology
- Student Member in International Society for Computational Biology, USA
- Student Member in Society for General Microbiologist, UK
- Student Member in Society of Biological Chemists, India
- Student Member in Computer Society of India, India
- Member in APBioNet, Singapore
Editor of Verve - Proceedings of Biotechcellence 2000 (National level students technical symposium)
Participated in a workshop on "Bioinformatics in Drug Discovery" at IISc, Bangalore on April 23-25, 2000
Website designer for Biotechcellence 2000
Website designer for the Cancer Biology Course at the Center for Biotechnology, Anna University
Member in the Editorial Board of Verve - Proceedings of Biotechcellence 1999
Volunteer during Indian Science Congress-99
Member in the Organizing Committee of National Science Day-99
|Dr. Sarah Teichmann - PhD Supervisor
MRC-Laboratory of Molecular Biology
Hills Road Cambridge CB2 2QH, UK
|Dr. Cyrus Chothia - Assessor|
MRC-Laboratory of Molecular Biology
Hills Road Cambridge CB2 2QH, UK
|Prof. P. Balaram
Molecular Biophysics Unit
Indian Institute of Science
Bangalore - 560012, India
|Dr. K. Sankaran
Center for Biotechnology
Chennai - 600025, India
Home |Awards | Research Interests | Publications | Professional Activities | Resume | General | Group Page